*blub*blub*blub*

Monday, January 02, 2006

Reflections

I suppose, this being a journal of sorts, it would be appropriate for me to make some kind of reflection on the past year. It certainly has been an eventful one. There's definitely a big change personally -- a year ago I was so unsure of where I would be in the near future, and here I am now, ready to start teaching in my very own classroom (albeit temporary) in just a couple of weeks. I'm so much happier now with myself and with my life than I have been in a long time. And I think that just makes me a better person overall.

In 2005, I:

found true success. I graduate from college with two degrees that I worked damn hard for. And I took those degrees knowing full-well that I wouldn't do anything with them. (At least not directly). And I didn't care.

surprised myself. I spent a few weeks off from school and then went straight back to pursue my Master's. I never thought I'd go to grad school and yet now I'm halfway done with a post-graduate degree. Life certainly is full of surprises.

struggled. Mostly with work, but also with school. The usual stress-related issues, but also really feeling like I had been taken advantage of. It was one of the most heartwrenching feelings to work so hard and have everything fall to pieces without having any control. But because of it, I also...

stood up for myself. I took initiative and spoke up when I was unhappy and had something come of it. That was a good feeling.

watched others hurt. I had friends and family who took some serious and hard losses. Deaths, threats of illness, and even a friend who lost so much in the hurricanes. And it reminded me how precious life is and how important friendship can be.

discovered a new love in Charlie. He is such a great addition to my life and to our home, he really is a dear to have around and I think I discovered that I am at least in part, an animal person.

saw new places by taking trips...the cruise with the girls, and the road trips with Damon, Hollie and Jason.


I guess all in all, I'm starting to really grow out of my shell and take control of who I want to be. Little by little, of course, but ever-so-slightly I'm starting to see improvement in myself. I have new goals and I'm actually excited to be me and to live life. I definitely didn't have that a year or two ago. And it's very refreshing.

Resolutions -- I have many, and I probably won't keep them all, but in the spirit of trying, I figured I'd name them anyway:

1. Secure a good job at a good school upon completion of my degree.
2. Be financially independent from my parents by December of '06.
3. Start a paper-pen journal and really reflect on my life.
4. Read a chapter of a book every day - recreational reading, not for school.
5. Actually be really and truly organized, and not just pretend to be.
6. Graduate with a perfect GPA.
7. Dedicate more quality weekend time to Damon -- not just running errands with him.
8. Try and be more helpful around the house.
9. Be a better mommy to Charlie.
10. Try harder to be healthy -- not just to lose weight, but to really be healthy....which leads to:
11. trying to develop a genuine liking for exercise.
12. Develop at least two new skills within the year.
13. Learn to cook more dishes.
14. Learn enough Cantonese to have an actual conversation with Damon's grandma.
15. Save money.
16. Actually get an oil change every 4 months.
17. Lose weight and fit into my old clothes again.
18. Donate blood more frequently.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home