*blub*blub*blub*

Monday, December 22, 2008

Come on, LAUSD!

Perhaps I need to change my blog to "Complaints about my District." Geez. Here's another story that just baffles me --

L.A.'s new arts school an expensive social experiment


So here is what looks to me a recipe for disaster. LAUSD has poured tons of money into this AWESOME arts school -- and honestly, I think it's such a gift for our district and for its future students. But no concrete plans for admitting students/a strong curriculum to accompany its stellar physical foundation/an out-of-this world staff that students deserve? What gives? If you're going to do something incredible, make sure its incredible before you feed a large portion of our budget into it.

If they could show that this school is going to be the gold star of the district, I'd be all for it. But when I read news like this, where I see money being spent without any accountability, it pains me. Because that money could've been used to get my kids pencils, or glue sticks, or construction paper. Or to get our staff the newest books instead of using a curriculum that is nearly 10 years old. Or, dare I say it? Save our jobs for next year.

-----edit--------
Ok, so the money came from bonds for school construction, so it couldn't have been used for supplies or salary. My bad. BUT -- couldn't it have been used to get rid of the asbestos in my classroom? Or to get the lead out of all the water pipes that feed directly to water fountains?




/end rant. I will step off my soapbox now. (But just for the moment)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home